Monday, July 4, 2011

Royal Arts Academy: Leroy the Lion





Leroy, the Lion who would be King. 
Back in 2011 I was asked to create a simple black and white image to be displayed on t-shirts to help advertise the summer programs being offered at the Royal Arts Academy. I didn't want a grinning sun with sunglasses or some other silly seasonal graphic i'd always seen used for summer advertising. Not only would that be stereotypical but it would limit itself to being used for only this one purpose. I wanted something that would have wide appeal and if it caught on could be reused over and over. I decided we needed a mascot, and the visual of a lion in a crown had long been floating around in my mind. This would turn out to be a fun challenge; I'd need to create my own version of a cartoon lion who wouldn't instantly make the viewer think of the Disney's own Lion King. After a day or two of sketching, Leroy was born! The school's owners and students instantly loved him and he has become the mascot I hoped he would be, appearing each year on summer flyers and shirts and eventually all major advertising. 

Check out Royal Arts and all their great programs:
www.RoyalArtsMD.com

2 comments:

RobinHoodFan said...

Looks Great! Love the layout! Is it for a sign? Where is it going to appear?

~C. Riley
blog.pozzitoons.com

Brandon W Vernon said...

It's for T-shirts only as of right now...i'm hoping to print out a couple big ones for the front windows in the loby..